From BITagora and the SoII directory board, we are very pleased to announce this conference, wishing it became a turning point in the erection of a new science of information. We wish to express our gratitude to all organisers and especially to Hua-Can He and to our colleagues Pedro, Wolfgang and Zong-Rong.
Beijing: 20-23 August, 2010
Continuing the series of FIS Conferences (Madrid 1994, Vienna 1996, Paris 2005) a new venue will be held in Beijing 2010. In our times, an increasing number of disciplines are dealing with information in very different ways: from information society and information technology to communication studies (and related subjects like codes, meaning, knowledge, and intelligence), as well as quantum information, bioinformation, knowledge economy, network science, computer science and Internet, to name but a few. At the same time, an increasing number of scientists in the East and the West have been engaged with the foundational problems underlying this development, to such an extent that the integration of disciplines revolving around information seems an idea whose time has come. A new science of information can be envisaged that explores the possibilities of establishing a common ground around the information concept, of constructing a new scientific perspective that connects the different information-related disciplines and provides a new framework for transdisciplinary research.
The purpose of this conference is thus:
- to enable the discussion of different concepts, theories and approaches to the information field,
- to facilitate the exchange between informational disciplines concerning different but complementary tasks, objects of study, and methodologies,
- to network researchers and research institutions as well as knowledge transfer institutions in the promotion of the new science of information,
- to create a new community of scholars and to promote a new style of scholarship,
- to advance a new point of view on global problems.